Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.Matthew 5:4
When a death occurs, life, for those who live on, changes forever. The Church recognizes this change and offers hope and comfort to those who grieve the loss of a loved one. As Jesus comforted Mary and Martha, the parish community can reach out to comfort those who mourn.
Bereavement Ministry is praying for the dead and comforting those who mourn, one of the Spiritual Works of Mercy.
Catholic Cemeteries and the Archdiocese of Chicago are pleased to offer and in-depth and complimentary enrichment training in Bereavement Ministry. Envision, design and sustain a Ministry that’s “just right” for your parish.
Eva Bustamante, MS-Thanatology, Coordinator of the Bereavement Ministry for the Catholic Cemeteries of Chicago and recognized by the Archdiocese of Chicago since 2002. At the present time, Eva has worked with over 75 of the Archdiocesan parishes and instructed over 500 parish volunteers under the guidance of their pastors. Eva will consult with parishes on site to discern the needs they wish to address. Click here to contact Eva.
Depending on the needs of the family, the Bereavement Ministry under the guidance and supervision of the Pastor, and on behalf of the parish will:
- Pray for the members of the parish community who have died and for their families.
- Meet with the bereaved family to offer support and guidance as they plan the funeral liturgy.
- Visit the family and friends of the deceased at the wake to offer support and prayer on behalf of their parish community.
- Conduct the wake service if needed or requested by the bereaved family.
- Serve as a greeter, lector or Eucharistic Minister at the funeral liturgy if needed or requested by the family.
- Attend occasional prayer sessions and on-going formation to support the ministry.
Enrichment and Spiritual Support
We offer an annual Day of Reflection, in the fall, for trained volunteers or those seeking to join the ministry.
Bereavement Ministry Training is also available in Spanish.
For more information contact:
View other information regarding Catholic Cemeteries and burial:
The Catholic Cemeteries' Advisors offer you their cemetery knowledge and expertise to make an educated burial selection.Read More
Catholic Cemeteries offer an economical package that includes all the cemetery needs that can be added to any purchase.Read More
The interment of a deceased person requires many ongoing checks and balances to insure that no mistakes occur during this important procedure.Read More
Catholic Cemeteries is committed to assist, explain and educate Catholic families, parishes and other agencies of the Archdiocese, through its outreach programs.Read More